10 Reasons Why It’s a Wonderful Life is a Holiday Classic
"Why don't you kiss her instead of talking her to death?".
In GEEK OUT
Photo colour by Andreya
It’s a Wonderful Life, a holiday movie released in 1940, revolves around the life of George Bailey, a selfless man who dreams of exploring the world. In lieu of events that take place on George’s wedding day, he misses his final opportunity to travel and instead, stays in his hometown, Bedford Falls, to run his father’s business. Right in front of his eyes, George’s life starts falling apart. When he considers suicide, an angel named Clarence appears to George. The angel reveals to him what life would be like if George Bailey had never been born.
I first watched this movie 2 years ago at an annual screening at my local theater. People, young and old came to see the movie; so many that the theater needed to screen the movie in two rooms. I hadn’t understood what the hype was about and why this was my mother’s favorite movie. But, after the lights in the theater dimmed and I finally viewed it, I fell in love and came up with my reasons why It’s a Wonderful Life is a holiday classic:
1. It was revolutionary for its time. Watch for references to naked girls in bushes, excessive drinking, and talk of “making furious love.”
2. Though the movie wasn’t popular back when it first came out, it is screened in many theaters during the holiday season now.
3. Many terrible things have happened recently and this movie can always remind you that there is good in the world even if you can’t see it.
4.It is a holiday movie that doesn’t focus on Christmas or Saint Nick, instead on the internal struggles of a man who only sees what he doesn't have.
5. The plot is very complex and demands a more thoughtful mind compared to many other Christmas movies.
6.The movie really takes the time to explore George’s character.
7. The movie will remind you that even if your plans for college go awry, everything will still be okay.
8. It explores the idea of never being born at a whole new level, showing the audience the value of life.
9. Towards the end, you get to see the joy and happiness that the holidays can bring.
10. Sitting down with a mug of hot chocolate and watching the movie will make for an amazing evening.